As some of you may know, one of my goals for the New Year was to drink a whole heap more water – while attempting to cut back on the Diet Coke. While this might not seem like such a big deal to a lot of you, I really really struggle to drink enough water during the day (we’re talking a glass, let alone a litre) and much prefer to down a few cans of Diet Coke instead whenever I’m thirsty.
- Don’t keep Diet Coke in the house – if it’s harder find, it’s harder to drink so regularly
- Keep some small bottles or a jug of water in the fridge. It amazing how much more appealing water is when it isn’t coming out of a tap and into a pint glass. To really spice things up, add a bit of lemon/cucumber to the water for some added flavour
- Invest in a ‘water’ vessel. I plumped for the above Starbucks sippy cup and it’s really quite astonishing how much more enjoyable I find drinking water when I use it. Simple, but seriously effective. Treat yourself to a snazzy bottle or a jazzy cup and it really will help
- Always order a jug of tap water when you’re at a restaurant – it’s a great habit to cultivate and it means that you won’t be as eager to drink loads of Diet Coke. You’ll find that you fill up your water glass really regularly throughout the meal without even noticing
- Keep a water bottle on your desk at work. It’s so much easier to get into drinking water when you don’t have to trek to the nearest water fountain to find some. Don’t let yourself drink fizzy drinks at the desk, just what you have in front of you – nice healthy water
Any other Diet Coke addicts out there want to share any tips?